Today, I got home from school feeling the need to bust out of my routine. I felt the urge to either go to the mall or eat chocolate. The problem is, I am very serious about keeping on track with both my budget and nutrition.Both a shopping spree and a chocolate ice cream binge would have negative emotional consequences. What to do?
To get my mind off of chocolate and shopping, I began browsing Pinterest for some to-go recipes to take on a hike tomorrow. I stumbled across this. A healthy chocolate brownie recipe to occupy my time, satisfy my sweet tooth, and give me something to blog about (which can be thrilling in itself). I am calling the whole experience Chocolate Therapy.
Chocolate therapy is a combination of the act of crafting a healthy treat and the taste of high-quality dark chocolate. It simply does the soul good.
Here’s my prescription for chocolate therapy: Healthy fudge brownies.
- 1/4 cup (extra dark) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tbs almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients with a hand mixer
- Spray 5×7 glass pan with cooking spray
- Bake at 325 for ~19 minutes
- Enjoy your healthy, fudgey, gooey treat at about 100 calories each (makes 8 servings)