This recipe is one of my best-kept secrets. It tastes like a decadent milkshake, but it’s no-sugar-added and high in protein. It’s so good, I just have to let the secret out!
I make it single-serving style in my Magic Bullet.
- Cocoa Powder
- Chocolate Protein Powder
- Frozen bananas
- Make “milk-cubes” by pouring milk into an ice cube tray. Let freeze. This is the most important part of the recipe; if you try to use regular water ice cubes, the milkshake tastes watered down and not as creamy!
- Use lactose-free milk for a sweeter shake (the disaccharide lactose is already broken down into the monosaccharides glucose and galactose by the enzyme lactase, which taste sweeter), and for a lower-carb option, choose almond milk.
- Peel and slice bananas into ~1 inch pieces and freeze.
- Take 4-5 milk-cubes and place in magic-bullet along with ~4 pieces of frozen banana
- Pour milk up to the level of the icy ingredients (I’ve never measured it, but I’d say ~1/2 cup)
- Add 1 tbs cocoa powder
- Add 1/2 to 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder (depending on how much protein you want to have)
- Blend and enjoy!
I love having this as a recovery shake after a workout. I served it to my dad once, and soon after, he went out and bought a Magic Bullet just so he could make them himself. They’re that good!
If you’re in the market for a Magic Bullet, Costco is the cheapest place we’ve found to buy one. They’re awesome because they come with a bunch of dish-washable cups, so you don’t have to clean an entire big blender every time you want to make a single serving smoothie or shake.