After a week-long hiatus from baking, I finally got my hands chocolately again tonight. You might be thinking, “Hold up, I thought this chick is a health nut? Last I checked brownies aren’t a health food…” Well, my “brownies” are more like naturally sweetened chocolate protein bread, but I must market them as brownies to get people to try them. And once they do, they love them! I took a double batch to a small party last weekend and the entire pan was gone by the end of the night! My husband likes them so much that he’ll eat them with breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I actually got this recipe from a body-building website; it was created (and is consumed regularly) by top fitness model, Jamie Eason. Here is my take on it:
- 1 cup oat flour
- 4 egg whites OR 2 whole eggs
- 2 scoops of chocolate whey protein powder
- 1/2 cup Truvia, Stevia, Splenda, OR Xylitol
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz berry baby food OR 8 oz unsweetened apple sauce (I usually use a split mixture of both)
- 3 (generous!) tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix dry ingredients (oat flour, protein powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder) together in a large bowl
- Mix wet ingredients (eggs, sweetener, baby food/applesauce, water) together in a medium bowl
- Add wed ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together
- Spray a baking dish (I usually use circular cake pans) with a non-stick baking spray and add batter
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and Viola, you have the perfect desert or on-the-go mini-meal!
Makes 8 servings at ~100 calories each, with about half the calories from protein! I hope you try them and enjoy! 🙂
P.S. Today was the first time EVER that I baked without sampling the batter… does that make me a grown-up or what? My nutrition teacher explained to the class today how she raises chickens and how filthy they are; I decided to stop playing Russian Roulette with Salmonella.