What is quinoa (pronounced keen-wah)? It’s kind of like brown rice, only tastier and much higher in protein. You can literally put one part quinoa, two parts liquid in a pot and in 15 minutes it’s ready to eat!
One of the favorite meals in my family is Clean-Eating Quinoa. Two days ago my hubby and I made up a double batch of it, and we just finished the last of it for dinner last night. I got home really late last night after a busy day and hard workout, and it was wonderful to have this already ready with a side of steamed veggies! Here is the recipe:
Yields four servings.
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups of chicken broth OR 2 cups water with 2 tsp chicken bouillon
- ~ 1 cup of diced bell peppers (you can always add more veggies if desired!)
- ~ 1 cup of diced cucumbers (can also use zucchini)
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions (if I don’t have these on hand, I omit them)
- 1 can corn
- 8 tsp olive oil (also good with exotic oils like avocado oil)
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- juice of one lemon or lime
- 2 tbs ground cumin
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional, add only if you like spicy food)
- pinch of salt
Add quinoa and broth or water to a saucepan. Cover with lid and cook on high for 15 minutes.
While quinoa is cooking chop up veggies and place them in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients to bowl. When quinoa is finished cooking, simply pour into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients mix, and enjoy!
P.S. Quinoa can be expensive at the average grocery store, so please save yourself some money and buy it in bulk at stores like Winco whenever possible!